The robot apocalypse, depending on whom you believe, is steadily approaching. Robots are already fighting in battles all over the world, so maybe it’s not such a crazy idea that they’d stop taking our direct orders someday. Here are some interesting examples of fighting machines that could be looking for John Connor in the near future (or alternate past).
- Libyans have started to create a DIY robot army from spare parts and recovered munitions. Just watch out for the whiny slave-boy without a dad building a protocol droid… [url]
- Microaviary drones are built to mimic the flight characteristics of moths, hummingbirds, hawks and other flying animals. These aren’t the drones you’re looking for. Move along. [url]
- Some soldiers are already giving out purple hearts to robots… But perhaps a purple power adapter would be a better analogy? [url]
- Giving robots a personality could be a good idea. As long as that personality is more of a Johnny5 (“Need more input!”) and less of a Terminator (“Fuck you, asshole”). [url]
- To discover more interesting robotics-related content, check out what’s currently floating around the StumbleUpon universe. [url]
By the way, StumbleUpon can recommend some good Techdirt articles, too.